How BeagleBoxx transforms the patient experience at Zuyderland Medisch Centrum
Zuyderland Medisch Centrum is a healthcare provider with two hospitals across two different locations in the south of the Netherlands with nearly 1000 beds.
Submissions per year
Visits to outpatient clinics per year
Nursing days per year
Day-care admissions per year
Zuyderland initiated a tender process to replace their Siemens HIMED bedside terminals at their Sittard-Geleen location, as the HIMED environment within the Zuyderland was outdated, and an increasing number of its functionalities were becoming obsolete. The Sittard-Geleen location of the Zyderland Medisch Centrum was looking for a future-proof, modern solution that included patient mobility. Crucially, the solution also had to be relatively easy to implement. And where possible, the new solution should increase the efficiency and effectiveness of in-hospital processes.
BeagleBoxx, a Brightfish solution, was selected to take up the challenge. BeagleBoxx’s mission is to increase patients’ wellbeing while improving efficiency & effectiveness for both the patient and the care provider. In short, making the best possible patient experience, a reality.
BeagleBoxx offered Zuyderland a fully managed iPad, all-inclusive lease, solution that consisted out of:
- Managed iPads with the BeagleBoxx patient application.
- A fully integrated Mobile Device Management solution (Jamf)
- New bedside, wall-mounted iPads
- Specific iPad mounts allowing former HIMAD bedside placements to be reused
The following modules were included in the BeagleBoxx app:
- Patient entertainment including live TV, hospital broadcasting and games
- Ward-specific Information
- Room automation (lights, temperature, blinds, door)
- Internet access, video calling and notification system
- Integrated meal ordering, with connectivity to the hospital ordering systems
- Secure connectivity to hospital EHR and hospital information systems
To improve the patient experience even more, Brightfish also included:
- Screen protection – to prevent reflection of light in the room
- Cardboard iPad holders that meant patients could use iPads hands-free, out of bed
- A caching server to minimise data consumption per iPad over the internet with updates of iOS and the apps installed
- Silicone covers (in the house style colour of the hospital) and patient headsets
Re-use to save costs
The solution was not to take away the arm on which the HIMEDS were installed, but instead, refurbish them with a new iPad mount—this saved time and money. It meant not having to move patients out of their rooms, open ceilings, or disassemble the entire arm. Not removing the Himed arms, saved around €500 per arm. Considering there were close to 400 of these arms, this offered Zuyderland a significant opportunity to save costs.
Preventing spillage and saving time
Zuyderland also had the ambition to save on the spillage of food and unburden service staff. The idea was to get the majority of patients to use the meal ordering functionality. Since the introduction of Beagleboxx, 60% of patients now order meals through the meal ordering module in the app. This increased the efficiency for staff, offered an improved sense of empowerment to patients, and improved the accuracy of the catering and food ordering process.
Our cooperation with BeagleBoxx throughout the project and in our day-to-day operations, is high-touch, considerate, involved, focused and patient-centred – a real partnership. They are always thinking with us, while sharing their extensive experience with us.Jacques van Kerkvoort (Project Manager Zuyderland Mc)
Get in touch and learn how Brightfish solutions can help you – let’s talk about your objectives and walk through a live demo.
Request a demo
Please fill in the form below, and one of our employees will contact you as soon as possible.